Adam Cole
Lauren Servais
English 100
5 February 2010
It becomes my escape
In this world, we all have something or someplace that we run to for peace of mind or to allow ourselves to escape the pressures of this world. My oldest daughter turns to going to her friend’s house. There are no rules there, she feels comfortable with her friend and family. My youngest daughter turns to her dog. That dog has become her pacifier. They are best of friends and rely on each other for support. My girlfriends escape is me. There is nothing more that calms her than to be in my arms. When she is having a rough day, she runs to me so that I may hold her and take all the pressure away. But for me, my escape is also a living thing. Though it is mechanical and it is man-made, it still has its own heart and soul. This escape is a car. It is not just any car though. This car becomes one with me whenever I sit in it. And as soon as we meld together, the rest of life comes second to us.
This car is no ordinary car. It is sleek and low to the ground. It is light and agile. It is a brilliant black, not just a regular black but the black that glows in the sun and disappears at night. There are no sharp lines on this ride. All lines are smooth and seem endless. People have compared it to the bat mobile, mysterious and suspicious. It has a sinister look to it as if you were to mess with it, it would bite back. It also looks like it is going 180 miles an hour just sitting still. Very few people have ever seen this car on the road, in a magazine or in a showroom. It is truly mysterious.
When you venture into its cockpit, you immediately notice it is not like other cars. The multitude of gauges, navigation, and radar detecting/jamming devices tells you this car is made for a specific purpose. That is to go fast and not get caught doing so. As you set in the driver’s seat, you notice the way it forms to your body and does not let you move. It holds you like a cocoon. You definitely feel as if you and this vehicle become one. You look around you and everything you need to keep you and this car alive is in easy sight while keeping your eyes on the road. The instrumentation resembles that of a jet airplane. All of this may be intimidating to some, to me it is home.
Now it’s time to bring this steed to life and with the flick of my wrist, the whine of the starter is noticeable and then with a thunderous roar, the engine comes alive. My heart starts beating a little faster with the anticipation of getting on the road. But as all of us need to wake slowly, so does this. So I wait and wait…. And wait for what seems like hours (its really just minutes) and then finally the engine is warm and the steed is ready to run.
Its 5am Sunday morning. I roll out the driveway of my house and slowly roll down the street. I have a long drive before I get to my intended destination. I will meet others like myself. Ones that are into the game of chase. But this is not like most people play chase. Our game of chase requires the use of 2700 pounds of steel, carbon fiber, and various other composites. These steeds are fire breathing, high horsepowered highly tuned machines that are made for one thing only and that is to run as fast as they can. There are five of us that show up this morning.
I like the direction you are going with the story, and I could not agree more that every machine has a personality. After looking at the picture and reading the story the only question I kept asking was what kind of car is it. I know that is not the main point of the story and in the long run it does not matter. however I just have to know. I think you do a great job explainning your feelings and excitement. keep it up.
ReplyDeleteNice car, I really like how you go into details describing your car. You started off sharing you individual family where they go for comfort and went into yours.
ReplyDeleteHi Adam,
ReplyDeleteHope this doesn't come to late. I am so glad you posted in the student lounge to read your blog- I really enjoyed your essay. You have done a wonderful job of illustrating your feelings for this car and your descriptions are make me feel as if I am right there with you.
This line
"You look around you and everything you need to keep you and this car alive is in easy sight while keeping your eyes on the road" seems awkward. Maybe it can be condensed. Also, what kind of car is this? I am very naive about cars and wouldn’t know unless you told me. Hope this helps. Wonderful writing- very inspiring.
Tonya