Sunday, February 21, 2010

chapter 46 summary

Chapter 46 talks of writing about texts of various sorts. It talks about the value of certain pieces of information included in your writing. Also about how to pull out as much information of the text you are writing. How to actively read a text whether it is written or is a picture. It gives you ideas of what to look for to utilize the text as best possible.
It is interesting as to the many different types of text there are and the book gives us a few of those to go by. It shows us that responding to a text usually requires us to include a summary, an analysis or both. We are told of a couple of techniques that will help us in our writing. Annotating and outlining the key points. By actively reading or annotating the text it shows us that we can make more since of the text and we will typically find meaning that we would usually fail to see. Annotating allows you to become familiar with the purpose of the text. It also allows you to see things that you typically would pass over. Another thing it does is gives you the opportunity to take the time and learn new words or phrases by looking them up.
Chapter 46 also gives us some helpful information on writing a good summary such as keeping it brief. Also focus on the main points and to not add anything extra. We need to remember that we are just summarizing what is already there. Also in analyzing a text, we are looking at how a text makes its point. I like on page 353 where it states that if we have written a summary of the text, we can use its main points to help with our analysis.
I am further fascinated by this book. It really has helped me and woke me up to the options that we have when writing in different forms. I have only recently learned about annotating (as odd as that may sound) and I find it is actually fun to dissect a piece of written text. When I have summarized text in the past, I have done it in a happenstance way. Now with new information and a proper procedure to follow, I will be able to write a better summary. This same goes for analyzing text.

No comments:

Post a Comment