Sunday, February 21, 2010

Chapter 47 Summary

Chapter 47 is about putting together a topic that can be debated, a topic that one can agree or disagree with what is written. When writing this topic, it is necessary to construct it in a manner that has certain elements included so that the reader understands what you are saying, where you found this information, why it is an important topic and something that does not push them away when reading but rather draws them into wanting to include their opinion.
Chapter 47 teaches us how to write an argument in a reasonable manner. It also shows us the importance of properly researching the issue so that all avenues are covered and your readers feel you are credible. They need to believe that you have researched the issue before they can believe or argue the issue. Also any research that you have done need the proper credit to its author and doing this further allows the reader to recheck your statement and also allows them to further their own research. This chapter also shows us that using facts, statistics, examples and illustrations further solidifies the information you have provided allowing your readers to feel comfortable with what is told to them.
One thing I have done in my past is a lot of sales in different modalities. Reading this chapter makes me think about the similarities it has with sales. Now I am able to tie my past sales experience with my writing via the information provided in this book. I will also be aware of how passive or aggressive I write text that involves arguments. Also something I have not done much in the past that I will be doing more of is to give credit where it is due.

No comments:

Post a Comment