Wednesday, February 24, 2010

shooting dad summary

Adam Cole
Lauren servais
English 100
25 February 2010
“What is the Significance of the Title”
This is one of those writings that I found so enjoyable, I actually insisted that my two daughters read it as well. I also talked my girlfriend into reading it as well. This text from the very beginning had me hooked. Something that I have found that keeps me interested in reading is how the writer uses comparisons. When the writer uses metaphors, similes and other figures of speech, they tend to grab my imagination and keep me reading waiting to see what is going to be said next. This text has defiantly captured my attention.
From the start, the title “Shooting Dad” had my imagination going. What did it mean? I knew that it did not mean its exact comparison. I just did not know where it would end. As I read the essay, the writers use of metaphors had me guessing as to the value of the title and had me thinking something other than what it actually turned out to be. I knew it was not going to be a negative conclusion because the relationship the daughter had with her father. Still I did not know where it would end.
After having a lot of laughs reading this essay and reminiscing about the fun and good times that I have had with my daughters teaching them how to properly take care of, handle and shoot guns. Also taking the time with my daughters to teach them my real hobby and that is restoring old cars. Both the subject of guns and cars are important to my relating to this text. In the end of this essay when the author is talking about her father having his daughters stuffing him into paper bags and blowing him out of the cannon he has built has a relation to my dying request. I to have asked my daughters to cremate me and then feed my ashes down the intake of my personal car until the engine freezes, making me a permanent part of where I have found so much peace. And just as in the essay, his daughters will do it, mine have said the same. I love my girls. They are the best.

8 comments:

  1. I too believe this has been the most intersting and enjoyable story to read in this class so far. It was written super well and the narrator was able to identify and show reasons and comparison. Even though I would identify myself more with the father it was enjoyable to read the daughters point of view and supportive points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The title definetly grabs your attention! I was also very curious to see where the story would end and to my suprise they ending was a bit more humerous than i was expecting. In this description of the relationship between father and daughter I think alot of us were able to relate to this story in one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also loved this essay. I read it first and then I listened to the audio link that Lauren had given us. I was amazed at her voice and thought listening to this humorous view of her relationship with her dad gave me the incentive to reread it with a different perspective. It is uncanny how we think sometimes we are different than our parents, but, that said, a lot of us are just like our parents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wrote about the same question. For me I had know idea what this story was going to be about the title made me wonder. At the being I wasn't really into it and when I got to the end I really liked it. I understood it. And I agree with kelly a lot of us are able to relate to this story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its great how you can relate so much to this reading. The title also got my attention "Shooting Dad" obviously I knew it had nothing to do with shooting a dad but he had me curious wanting to find out what it meant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you enjoyed reading this essay! There's a way Vowell is able to infuse humor into her writing to capture an audience. What I also love about her writing is the sense that she's really enjoying the writing; when writers enjoy what they're writing, it helps the audience enjoy reading it.

    Lauren :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also roped my family into reading the story, it was very enjoyable. I liked to hear a fathers perspective on this essay. It sounds like the story touched you because you have a lot in commone with the characters...hopefully without the teen-age drama that Vowells had when fighting with her dad. This might be a great subject for you to write about in essay 2.
    Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI!!
    i agree with michelle on this because int he beginning i was not very interested but by the middle to the end i really was! when i was reading your response its crazy how you have so much in common with this story and its great to hear!! i also wrote about this question and i agree with your answer!

    Niki

    ReplyDelete