Sunday, January 24, 2010

summary for chapters 2 and 3

In just the couple of weeks in this class, i have found and understood more about English than i have in the previous two classes. I absolutely love the book "Rules For Writers." I actually started thinking that the previous two classes were not so valuable but after pondering for a bit more, I realized that they are probably why I am enjoying this one more.

Draft; I have always used drafts in the little writing that I previously have done. I have never used freewriting as a tool in making a draft though. I have done a few freewriting exercises over the past week and have found them to be very valuable. I have always tried to make my drafts fairly clean but will be changing this attitude.

Thesis; A thesis has always been tough for me. specifically when it comes to making a good one. I have always tried to come up with a thesis in the beginning but now realize this does not have to happen right away. Let some content come and then take a look at building a thesis.

Revisions; In my past, I have revised my writing with a whimsical attitude. I had never thought to make it a process. (did i say how much i love this book) my previous method was kind of like the global part in the book. That's usually where it ended. It may have been that i was lazy to take it to the next step, i am not sure but it just makes sense to break it in two (or more) parts.

Proofreading; This is another topic that i have been lazy in the past. this is one thing that my last semester of English has helped me with though. We were required to bring our work to the writing lab at the jc. it was such a great resource. I remember on many occasions reading my work and feeling there was nothing wrong with it only to find out it had many. I also started having my other classmates proofread my papers and their feedback was amazing. The lab teachers were great but mixing it with my classmates i found became invaluable. Both parties brought different frame of minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment