Do you relate to one of the characters? How? Why?
Based on the essay “Shooting Dad”
When I started reading “Shooting Dad” written by Sarah Vowell I immediately started to relate to the situation Sarah was sharing with us. Although I was not relating myself to her feelings but rather to her fathers relationship with his daughters. There was so many ways that I could put myself into his shoes that it felt like this was a story about me and my two daughters.
From the first paragraph where she states, “I’m not saying who the democrat was or who the republican was,” to the end where she states “But I will not cover my ears” I felt emotion as strong as I ever have in the past. This essay became I and my two daughters’ home in many ways.
You see, my belief is one of freedom. My feeling is that the government from city all the way to federal has imposed rules that are in not way keeping with the values of the constitution of the United States. Burocrats have come in to office and have decided to make rules for the general public that are not what we have asked for or voted on. They have decided for us that certain situations should be the way they feel. But these laws are decided upon by some panel that is made up of primarily rich older white men. For instance this could be a curfew that has been set in place because of some crime that has taken place somewhere. They see this crime as a threat to them and feel it needs to stop right away so they put this new law in effect not considering what the rest of us feel. They also normally do not take the time to research this event thoroly because they feel it would be detrimental to put it off any longer. This is just one example of many laws that have been put in place in a hasty manner. Do you know that a woman may not drive a car wearing a house coat in California?
My oldest daughter is 15. She is a highly social girl. She also loves to get involved with helping others. She feels that it is a positive to let the government to make laws for us. She would use an example of the laws that have been put into effect that helps out the homeless and the illegal immigrants. What I try to show her is that when these laws go into effect that everyone pays for this through taxes, even those that did not want to help. The decision was not everyone’s but rather only some yet the others still have to pay. And what if those people are struggling to make ends meet as it is. Now a law has gone into effect that is going to take money out of their pockets making it harder for them to live. Is that fair? We go back and forth on these things a lot.
One of my favorite parts of this essay is the fact that the father wants to be blown out of a cannon to his final resting place. This is classic “me.” I say this because it has been my choice to be cremated and then my ashes fed down the intake of my favorite motor that is in my Hot Rod. I want to experience going through the intake, pat a valve and into the combustion chamber where an explosion occurs and then spit out of the exhaust valve and down the long tunnel of exhaust pipe and to the world again. Yes it’s true I may not feel it but maybe, just maybe if my soul is present, I just may.
And I am sure that my girls will do this for me. And I do not think they will be crying but rather they will have a big grin on their face. The grin of thankfulness, happiness, immortality, and just plain strange that their father want to know, “what really happens in side there.”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Adam wrote: "my ashes fed down the intake of my favorite motor that is in my Hot Rod. I want to experience going through the intake, pat a valve and into the combustion chamber where an explosion occurs and then spit out of the exhaust valve and down the long tunnel of exhaust pipe and to the world again."
ReplyDeleteVery well written and i am able to visualize this clearly.
I really liked how you used quotes in your writing to expaliain your main point. I also like you thesis, its really straight forward and good main point. I also like how you show some feelings in your writing.
ReplyDeleteHi Adam
ReplyDeleteI am not sure I am clear on your thesis
Is it "There was so many ways that I could put myself into his shoes that it felt like this was a story about me and my two daughters."?
I think the content of your essay is great and very well written but it is not what I expected when I read your thesis. Maybe you can narrow it to be a little more specific and let us know you are focusing on the political aspect of shooting dad.
Tonya